DC R-1 Visa Lawyer

If you are a religious worker from a foreign nation, you may qualify to work in the U.S. in that capacity on a temporary basis. Consult with an experienced DC employment immigration lawyer today to get a full assessment of your situation. We will help you determine your eligibility and assist you with properly completing and filing your application if you qualify.

Services Our Immigration Attorneys Provide

If you work with a DC R-1 visa lawyer from our firm today, you can enjoy the following services:

  • Case assessment and eligibility determination
  • Assistance with completing and filing the necessary forms USCIS
  • Guidance on gathering the required documentation
  • Assistance with applying for family members to join the R-1 visa recipient

Our DC R-1 visa attorneys provide our clients with legal guidance through each stage of the process, keeping clients apprised of the status along the way and answering any questions they may have. Let us help you with your application, and we will help ease any concerns you may have about the process.

About R-1 Visas

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides the rules and requirements for R-1 visas. An R-1 visa allows employers in the U.S. to hire religious workers from foreign nations on a temporary basis. Religious workers include ministers and individuals in religious vocations and occupations.

To qualify, the employee must meet the following criteria:

  • The employee has an offer of employment with a U.S. religious non-profit organization
  • The employment is for at least 20 hours per week
  • The employer is a member that religious denomination for at least two years prior to applying.

The initial length of an R-1 visa is 30 months which may be extended in 30-month increments, not to exceed a maximum of five years. Recipients of R-1 visas may petition for their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 to be admitted to the U.S. under the R-2 classification, but family members may not receive work authorization in the U.S. under the R-2 classification.

How to Apply

The employer must first complete the Form I-129 on behalf of the employee and submit it to the proper USCIS office. In addition to the form, the employer must supply supporting documentation demonstrating their religious non-profit status and proof of their ability to compensate the employee. The employee must submit documentation proving that they are a member of the religious organization, and that the organization itself qualifies as such. The employee must then apply to be admitted to the U.S. with the Department of State. The R-1 visa application must be approved by USCIS before a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad can grant the R-1 visa.

What can a DC R-1 Visa Lawyer Do for You?

To secure an R-1 visa, it is important to complete each step of the process correctly. Many common mistakes can cause an application to be delayed or denied, including neglecting to file duplicate copies, neglecting to submit the proper documentation, or filing with the wrong USCIS office. Let the DC R-1 visa lawyers at our firm assist you with your case, and we can help ensure that your application is completed fully and accurately.

Call our law offices today to receive your initial consultation.

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración