Fairfax E-1 Visa Lawyer

The E-1 visa program allows foreign nationals to enter and work in the United States. To qualify for this program, an applicant must be a citizen of a nation that has an active trade treaty with the United States and focus their work on expanding trade between their home country and the U.S.

A Fairfax E-1 visa lawyer cancan help both foreign nationals and employers obtain E-1 visas that can allow traders to live and work in the United States. A trusted attorney will work to determine a person’s eligibility and guide them through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service’s processes. To find out more, be sure to schedule a consultation today.

What is a Treaty Trader?

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) oversees the E-1 visa program for the purpose of allowing treaty traders to live and work in the United States. What do we mean when using the term “treaty trader?”

According to 8 CFR 214.2(e)(9),  a treaty trader:

  • Is a citizen of a country that has a commerce treaty with the United States;
  • Personally engages in substantial trade between their home country and the United States; and
  • Performs over half their total trade between the U.S. and their home country.

A person who receives an E-1 visa can enter and remain in the United States for up to two years. Visa holders can move with their immediate family members, including spouses and children. While there is no path to citizenship and visa holders must return home upon expiration of their visa, they can make temporary homes in the U.S. during this time. A Fairfax E-1 visa lawyer can help  provide more information about the qualifying factors for the E-1 visa program.

Applying for an E-1 Visa in Fairfax

Obtaining an E-1 visa requires the submission of an application with the USCIS. This especially applies if the applicant is already in the U.S. on a different type of visa. Applicants must complete and submit Form I-129 requesting a formal change of status. For people that are not in the U.S., they will need to file an application for a visa through the U.S. consulate in their home country.

In both examples, an applicant will need to provide detailed information about their current employment, how they are engaged in trade with the United States, and what they plan to do while living and working in the United States. Applicants will also need to provide basic background information concerning political affiliations, their criminal history, and which family members they want to bring with them to the U.S.

A Fairfax E-1 visa lawyer can help people already in the U.S. to file requests for a change in status to that of a treaty trader. They can also work with companies to bring individuals into the country who are currently living in their home nations.

A Fairfax E-1 Visa Attorney May be Able to Help

The United States has a decided interest in bringing workers into the country who can facilitate greater trade with other nations. The resulting E-1 visa program allows treaty traders to enter and remain in the United States for two years with the express purpose of trading with their home country. These traders can move to the United States with their families but must return home at the end of their visa term.

An attorney can help people already in the United States and those still in their home countries to fulfill the USCIS’s strict visa application requirements. This includes demonstrating their eligibility as a treaty trader and completing all necessary paperwork. Contact a Fairfax E-1 visa lawyer today to learn more about how they cancan help people gain legal entry into the United States to perform trade.

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración