Evidence in Leesburg VAWA Applications

The supporting evidence and documentation that might be required for the VAWA application is going to be proof of the applicant’s relationship to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident abuser, evidence of the abuse suffered at the hands of the abuser, proof that the applicant lives or lived with the abuser, and evidence of the applicant’s good moral character.

The relationship to the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident can be determined by marriage certificates if they are married to the abuser, or birth certificates if the abuser is either a parent or a child. The VAWA applicant will be required to submit evidence of the abuse which can be shown through statements or affidavits of support, police records, hospital records, records from any mental healthcare providers, and pictures. The applicant will also have to show that the applicant and the abuser cohabitated, which can be shown by joint leases or deeds, any joint bills that were sent to the shared address, or any statements from third parties that will be able to state that the abuser and the applicant lived together. Also, the applicant will have to submit proof of their good moral character, which can be obtained from the police departments in the jurisdictions where they have lived for more than six months in the last three years.

If you have any questions about evidence in Leesburg VAWA applications, reach out to an attorney today. A dedicated VAWA application lawyer could assist you with your case.

Evidence Can Vary Depending on the Situation

The evidence in Leesburg VAWA applications can vary depending on the situation. It is imperative to understand that every case is different. There are things that have to be taken into consideration, like the relationship between the applicant and the abuser, the kind of abuse that was experienced by the VAWA applicant, and if the abuser was preventing the applicant from having employment or doing anything that will prohibit them from having any documentation in their own name. This can impact what can be submitted to show the applicant’s eligibility for VAWA.

What if the Applicant Has Minimal Evidence?

When working with an applicant who has minimal to no hard evidence about their situation, attorneys will talk to them about either submitting Freedom of Information Act requests to see if that will be able to show the necessary information that the VAWA applicant will need, or hire investigators to obtain that information. If some evidence is not available, they can look for secondary evidence, which can come in the form of letters of support or affidavits from third parties. Also, the applicant can submit a detailed statement to describe in detail the relationship between the applicant and the abuser, the abuse that was experienced by the applicant, and proof that the statement will be able to elaborate on their cohabitation.

Applicants can find alternative evidence if the evidence is not available. For instance, not all applicants have access to proof of the U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status of the abuser.  In those cases, it is possible that the applicant can submit a Freedom of Information Act request or try to obtain assistance from an investigator that might be able to obtain that information.

What is Good Moral Character?

Good moral character is showing that the applicant follows the law, is a good person, and will not be of harm to any U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. People of good moral character are positive members of the community. It is necessary to prove good moral character when applying for VAWA.

Someone can prove that they have good moral character by obtaining police clearances from all the jurisdictions in which they have lived for at least six months in the last three years, background checks showing that they have no criminal issues and statements from third parties testifying to their good moral character.

Call a Leesburg Lawyer About Relevant Evidence in VAWA Applications

A seasoned attorney could assist you regarding evidence in Leesburg VAWA applications. Reach out to an accomplished immigration lawyer today and set up a consultation. Let us help you.

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración