Arlington Student Visa Lawyer

Foreign citizens who wish to study at an educational institution in the United States will first need to obtain a student visa. This visa will allow them to legally reside in the country and provide them with certain rights and protections. The student visa application process can be fairly complex, especially for those who do not have an in-depth understanding of immigration laws.

If you are a foreign citizen who wishes to study in the United States, or you already have a student visa and you simply need additional guidance, an Arlington student visa lawyer may be able to provide the assistance you need. Call today to set up a consultation with a seasoned immigration attorney.

Types of Student Visas

In reality, there are three distinct types of student visas available to foreign citizens. The “F” visa is the visa most people associate with studying in the United States. It allows foreign citizens to study at colleges, universities, and other accredited educational institutions.

“M” visas are extremely similar to “F” visas, but they are primarily reserved for students who wish to study at technical or vocational schools.

“J” visas are the least common type of student visas, and they are often referred to as cultural exchange visas. Educators, foreign professionals, interns, and individuals enrolled in study abroad programs are often eligible for a J visa.

Before applying for a student visa, applicants should have an understanding of what type of visa they will need to enter the country. Live-in caregivers may also be eligible for student visas, especially J visas.

Applying for a Student Visa

To obtain a student visa, foreign citizens will need to decide where they wish to attend school, apply, and then be accepted. They must also secure funding or have adequate funds to support themselves.

Obtaining an M visa can be slightly more difficult than obtaining an F visa, primarily because students will need to prove their non-academic institution meets government standards.

Student visa applicants must be eligible to enter the United States, so it is often the case that they cannot have any prior immigration violations (at least with the U.S.) or convictions for criminal offenses. If a student is finally granted a visa and allowed to enter the country, they cannot accept any work (full or part-time) without authorization.

When to Hire a Lawyer to Assist with Obtaining a Student Visa

The visa application process may seem straightforward to some, and many people do not understand why they would need to hire an Arlington student visa lawyer. An attorney may be able to assist the following types of students:

  • Those attempting to change or extend their immigration status
  • Those wishing to apply for permanent residence
  • Those who intend to apply for a Green Card through marriage
  • Those who need an H-1B employment-based visa

An immigration lawyer will usually have more knowledge than a school counselor, as well as more experience handling complicated visa-related issues. Making a mistake when applying for a visa can also lead to serious consequences that can jeopardize the studies of a student.

Speak with an Arlington Student Visa Attorney

Whether you need an F visa or you need to apply for a marriage-based green card, an attorney may be able to help you. Immigration laws are complex, and as a student, you will want to avoid jeopardizing your right to study in the United States at any cost. Call an Arlington student visa lawyer today for legal assistance.

Arlington Student Visa Lawyer

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración