Arlington County Family-Sponsored Preferences for Green Cards Lawyer

A Green Card allows individuals who are not U.S. citizens to live and work in the United States for an indefinite period of time. Green Card holders are also allowed to leave and re-enter the country as they please (so long as they do not abandon their lawful permanent resident status), enroll in school, and partake of other privileges usually reserved for full citizens.

Once a person possesses a Green Card for a certain period of time, they will be allowed to apply for citizenship. The path to obtaining a Green Card can be long and arduous, consisting of countless documents and legal requirements.

If you or a family member needs help obtaining a Green Card, Arlington County family-sponsored preferences for Green Cards lawyer may be able to help. A capable Green Card attorney could work towards a positive outcome for you.

Green Card Family Sponsorship

The Green Card application process consists of several steps. First, a family member or spouse must sponsor the person who wishes to obtain a Green Card. Sponsors take a certain degree of responsibility for their beneficiaries (individuals applying for Green Cards).

The State Department may require a sponsor to submit proof that they are related to a beneficiary, and this proof usually consists of a birth or marriage certificate. The following categories of individuals may apply for Green Cards:

  • Parents of a U.S. citizen age 21 or over (immediate relative)
  • Spouse of a U.S. citizen age 18 or over (immediate relative)
  • Children of a U.S. citizen under the age of 21 (immediate relative)
  • Adult children (aged 21 and over) of a U.S. citizen (preference relative)
  • Sibling of a U.S. citizen (preference relative)

Sponsors will be required to prove they can financially support their beneficiaries. If unable to meet the income requirement, the sponsor may use a co-sponsor who will become financially responsible.  Once a person becomes a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) they will be allowed to sponsor their own family members.

Waiting Times for Applicants

Green Card applicants (those currently present in the U.S.) and visa applicants (those applying for an immigrant visa from abroad) with immediate relatives in the United States will usually have a shorter wait time. Preference relatives, such as siblings, unmarried adult children, and married adult children may have to wait several years before they are allowed to begin the application process for the Green Card or for the immigrant visa since they do not have as much priority as immediate family members.

The United States government only grants a certain number of Green Cards and visas to each country, and countries with a high number of potential applicants, such as China, Mexico, and India will have much longer waiting times.

Who Cannot Apply for a Green Card?

Not everyone will be allowed to apply for a Green Card or permanent residency in the United States. The government will usually not allow anyone who poses a security threat to the country to enter. This means that anyone with a history of criminal activity, terrorist activity, or a communicable disease (absent a waiver) will not be allowed to apply for a Green Card.

Once a person obtains a Green Card, they will also be required to avoid criminal activity and conviction. If a person is having difficulty helping their family member obtain a Green Card, they should reach out to an Arlington County family-sponsored preferences for Green Cards lawyer.

Talking to an Arlington County Arlington County Green Cards Attorney

Applying for a Green Card is no easy task, and if you or a family member makes mistakes during the application process, it can take longer for the government to process your application. This can be frustrating but hiring an attorney who understands immigration laws can simplify the process. Contact an Arlington County family-sponsored preferences for Green Cards lawyer today and know that you and your family are in capable hands.

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración