Prince William K-Visa Lawyer

Obtaining legal status in the U.S. is a difficult task to undertake. Fortunately, with the help of a skilled attorney, you may be able to obtain this status if you or a loved one are the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, child of the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen, or the spouse of a U.S. citizen with a pending I-130 that is yet to be adjudicated. Undergoing this process can prove to be difficult without the help of a dedicated attorney, making it imperative to get in touch with a Prince William K-visa lawyer when filing an application under these familial conditions.

How Does a Person Apply for a K-Visa?

When a U.S. citizen submits form I-129F, which is the petition for a fiancé(e) who intends to immigrate to the U.S. or for a spouse with a pending I-130, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines whether the family relationship has been established and, in the case of the fiancé(e) visa, that the individual filing as a U.S. citizen intends to marry the foreign national within 90 days of that person’s entry to the United States. Once USCIS determines that the relationship exists, USCIS will approve the I-129F. Upon approval of the I-129F, the intending fiancé(e) or the spouse who wants to adjust will then submit form DS-160, which is a non-immigrant application that is submitted to the State Department indicating that one falls under the K category.

What Documents are Needed for a K-Visa?

If a couple is intending to marry, then the U.S. citizen will submit evidence of their status as a U.S. citizen. This can include a birth certificate if the US citizen was born in the United States, or a naturalization certificate if the US citizen is naturalized. Additionally, the U.S. citizen will have to prove that they have met their fiancé(e) in person within the last two years, and if not, they can ask for a waiver of that requirement. They will also be required to submit a statement of their intent to marry within 90 days of the immigrant’s entry to the U.S.

Potential Roadblocks During the Application Process

One of the roadblocks that K visa applicants often face is that they are not able to prove that they have met in person within the last two years. Sometimes people do not keep travel itineraries, or they will fail to take pictures to document the meeting requirement. This will make it difficult for them to prove to USCIS that they have met in person or to prove that they have the intent to marry.

Precautionary Advice for Submitting a K-Visa Application

If one has already overcome the hurdle of proving to USCIS the intent to marry and the meeting requirement, another hurdle that people often face is completing the affidavit of support. Under this requirement, the U.S. citizen sponsor must be able to prove that they have sufficient funds to support this person during their 90-day stay in the US. Additionally, information about assets and income is disclosed on the Form I-134 for the affidavit of support.

As a result, getting together the financial evidence required to show the State Department that this person who is coming in will be supported financially by the U.S. citizen is very important to have.

Get in Touch with a Prince William K-Visa Attorney Today

If you do not have any experience applying for a K-visa or petitioning for an intending immigrant, you should have a Prince William K-visa lawyer at your side guiding you through the process. Having a professional immigration attorney at your side can prove to be advantageous in your effort at submitting a successful application.

Prince William County Family Immigration Lawyer

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración