Leesburg Green Card Lawyer

For people around the world, the idea of moving to the United States to make a new life remains their goal for the future. While any person can apply for a visa to come to the United States on a temporary basis, obtaining the right to live and work in the U.S. permanently is another thing entirely.

Obtaining a Green Card, or lawful permanent resident status, grants an indefinite right to live and work anywhere in the country. It is also the first step for many people to become United States citizens. Even so, the application process is lengthy, and for people who are in the United States already, a failure may result in removal (deportation).

It is critical that people seeking Green Cards understand the process. A Leesburg Green Card lawyer can help to explain the necessary procedures and guide individuals through their application.

People Already in the United States May Apply for a Green Card

Many people who are currently in the United States have the right to apply for a Green Card to obtain lawful permanent resident status. However, it is important to note that filing an application will alert the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to a person’s presence, and a failed application can trigger removal proceedings.

That being said, seeking a Green Card will also delay any current removal case. To qualify, a person already in the U.S., must seek  adjustment of status and fit into a predetermined category. These include spouses of U.S. citizens, parents of U.S. citizens when the U.S. citizen children are at least 21 years old, and unmarried children of U.S. citizens who are under the age of 21.

Another method to obtain a Green Card is to apply under the qualified worker rule. This applies when a person is already in the U.S. on a work visa and their employer sponsors them for permanent resident status. A Leesburg immigration lawyer can help people who are already in the U.S. seek an adjustment of their immigration status.

Applying for a Green Card in a Person’s Home Country

The process for seeking a Green Card while not in the United States differs considerably. The USCIS has no jurisdiction to handle these applications. Instead, potential Green Card holders must pursue their claim through the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country by applying for an immigrant visa.

Much like applications for a change in status while already in the U.S., Green Card seekers must have either a family connection to the U.S. or an employer willing to provide sponsorship. Family members can begin the process by having their family sponsor file Form I-130, while employers must use Form I-140.

While these are the most common ways to seek a Green Card, some people may qualify for lawful permanent resident status as asylum seekers fleeing religious or political persecution, among others. A Leesburg Green Card lawyer can help people living in their home countries to initiate the relevant applications with the U.S. embassy.

Reach Out to a Leesburg Green Card Attorney Today

Obtaining a Green Card is a momentous event in a person’s life. These forms allow a person to live and work in the U.S., much like a U.S. citizen. However, obtaining this documentation is a complex and lengthy process. Making matters more complicated, people already in the U.S. who apply and receive a denial may face removal proceedings.

An immigration lawyer can help clients both in and out of the U.S. to pursue Green Card applications. They can help individuals to understand the process, to gather necessary evidence, and to pursue their applications with the USCIS or local U.S. embassy. Contact a Leesburg Green Card lawyer to see how they can help guide you through your case.

Leesburg Green Card Lawyer

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración