DC K Visa Attorney

The K-1 and K-2 visas were created in an attempt to speed up the reunification process for fiancées of U.S. citizens (and their children who hope to immigrate with them) who are residing abroad. You can learn more about the process of attaining a K visa by speaking with an attorney, but this article will provide some basic information to help you get started.

The experienced DC K visa lawyer at our firm can walk you through the application process step by step and provide guidance on how to go about filing the paperwork correctly and in a timely manner. Our legal team is standing by to take your call, so be sure to contact us today to complete your initial consultation.

Non-Immigrant K Visas

K visas allow fiancées of U.S. citizens, along with their minor children, to enter the U.S. on a temporary, or “non-immigrant” visa. The fiancée then must marry their U.S. citizen spouse within 90 days of entry, at which point they will begin the process to become a permanent resident, or “green card” holder. The K-1 visa is used by the foreign fiancée, and the K-2 is used by the foreign fiancée’s minor children who will accompany them to the U.S. As a DC attorney can explain, the K visa can be a great option for couples who prefer to marry in the U.S. instead of the fiancée’s home country.

In order for a visa to be issued, the U.S. citizen fiancée must file USCIS Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancée. This application is filed domestically and should include ample evidence of the couple’s bona fide relationship together. Once the I-129F is approved by USCIS, the file will be sent to the National Visa Center and eventually to the consulate or embassy in the foreign fiancée’s home country for processing.

Applying for a Green Card after Entering the U.S. on a K Visa

If you entered the U.S. with a K visa, your first step is to marry your U.S. Citizen spouse within 90 days of entering the country. After you are married, you must promptly file to adjust your status to that of a Lawful Permanent Resident, or “green card” holder. The green card application is filed via USCIS form I-485, but includes several other concurrently-filed forms.

Among others, a few of the things needed to file Form I-485 are:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Copy of your birth certificate
  • Copy of a government-issued photo ID
  • Evidence of marriage to a U.S. citizen within 90 days of entry with a K-1 visa

There are special considerations for step-children of K-1 visa holders, as well as K-3 visas for foreign spouses of U.S. citizens. You can learn more about these categories by speaking with a DC K visa attorney.

Work with a DC K Visa Attorney

Filing for non-immigrant visas can be a confusing and frustrating process, but a qualified DC K visa lawyer can provide you with the guidance you need to understand the process better. Reach out to our firm today to get started.

Here is more information on:

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración