Annapolis Visa Lawyer

Each year, millions of foreign nationals from abroad apply for visas to live and work in the United States. Unfortunately, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can only issue visas to a limited number of applicants, and certain classifications of foreign nationals take precedence over others.

To obtain an immigrant visa, a foreign national must have a family member or employer “sponsor” them. In other words, they must agree to take full or partial responsibility for the person being sponsored. If an employer wishes to sponsor a potential employee, they must prove they cannot find any U.S. citizens to fill the position for which the employee is being hired. The visa application process can be complicated and take years to complete, however, with the help of a dedicated immigration attorney, this process may be shortened. Schedule a consultation with an Annapolis visa lawyer today.

Green Cards (Visas for Permanent Residency)

Family members of U.S. citizens may apply for an immigrant visa for permanent residency (Green Card). Applying for this type of visa is relatively simple if a person is an immediate family member of a U.S. citizen, but if a person is an extended family member (ex: son or daughter over 21 or sibling), the process can take years. Fortunately, the parents, children (under 21 years old), and spouses of U.S. citizens are considered top priority in terms of immigration.

If a person wishes to bring an extended family member to the United States, they must do so quickly – visas for extended family members are limited and issued on a first come first serve basis.

Marriage-based Green Cards are also relatively simple to obtain. Spouses of U.S. citizens whose marriage is less than two years at the time of application may obtain a conditional residence for a period of two years. Once this two-year period is over, they may obtain lawful permanent resident status.

Employment Visas

It is also possible for employers to sponsor foreign employees. To do this, the employer must first prove there are not qualified U.S. workers available to fill the position for which the foreign national is being hired. To achieve this, an employer must apply for a Labor Certification, which will require them to submit proof (ex: advertisements, job applications, past interview transcripts, etc.) showing they attempted to hire a U.S. worker for the job first.

Certain types of employees will take precedence over others. For example, individuals with professional degrees and careers, as well as those who are distinguished in a certain field, will take precedence over types of workers.

It is also possible for an employer to sponsor a foreign worker for a non-immigrant visa. The most common is the H-1B program. The USCIS only issues roughly 65,000 H-1B (employer-sponsored nonimmigrant visas) each year, so employers and foreign nationals must complete the application process promptly to be entered into the yearly lottery.

Investor Visas

An E-2 investor visa, as its name suggests, allows foreign investors, managers, and certain types of business persons to live and work in the United States for an extended period of time. To qualify for an E-2, an investor must:

  • Be a citizen of a country with whom the United States has a commerce and navigation treaty
  • Seek to enter the country solely to direct or develop a business enterprise
  • Have invested a substantial amount of capital in the U.S. business

Applying for an E-2 visa can be difficult, and some applicants may need the help of an Annapolis visa lawyer.

Speak With an Annapolis Visa Attorney Today

There are numerous types of visas available to foreign nationals, and understanding the nuances of each visa application process can take time and energy. To make matters worse, a simple mistake can result in a delay or an application denial. If you wish to avoid denials and delays, hiring a visa attorney may be in your best interest. Speak with an Annapolis visa lawyer at your earliest convenience.

Annapolis Visa Lawyer

Llame hoy para hablar con un abogado de inmigración