Montgomery County Student Visa Lawyer

For students around the world, the chance to study in the United States is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Thousands of students from every country on the globe travel here each year and bring home experiences they will never forget.

If you are hoping to study in Maryland, speaking with a Montgomery County student visa lawyer who could help you prepare for the visa application process. Schedule a consultation with a trusted immigration attorney to get started on your case today.

What Kind of Student Visas Are Available?

Student visas are non-immigrant visas. This means that the visa is temporary and that students may only be in the country for a prescribed period of time. Students do not receive any type of residency status and student visa holders will be required to return home once they finish their education and their visas expire.

To apply for a student visa, a person must first enroll in a qualified American educational institution. A student visa will only last for the time that the person is enrolled in school. After graduation or completion of the program, a person with a student visa will either need to return home, apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) to work for a specified period of time in the U.S., or apply for a different type of visa to remain.

Student visas come in three forms: F-1 visas, J-1 visas, and M-1 visas. Each of these visas has different requirements that students must follow.

F-1 Visas

The most common visa used for studying in America is the F-1 visa. This visa can be used to study at everything from a private elementary school to a prestigious college or university. The visas are also available for certain English language schools.

To take advantage of an F-1 visa, a person must be accepted as a full-time student and have proof of financial support during their stay in the country. Students here on an F-1 visa cannot work in the United States, with the exception of part-time, on-campus jobs.

J-1 Visas

Students and professionals who take part in a foreign exchange program use a J-1 visa. There are fourteen different J-1 visa programs for students or professionals, each with a different aim. People here on a J-1 visa can work and earn money in America, but only as part of the exchange visitor program. This visa may have a home residency requirement or a sponsorship requirement, depending on the program. A few examples of people who may qualify for the J-1 exchange program visa include:

  • Au pairs;
  • Camp counselors;
  • Physicians;
  • Interns and college students; and
  • Professors and teachers

Each J-1 visa program has its own requirements and restrictions for living and working in the country that immigrants must be careful to follow.

M-1 Visa

The M-1 visa is not for traditional students. Instead, this visa is for people wishing to study at a vocational or training school in the United States. Applicants for these visas must also have sufficient funds to support themselves while training, must be fluent in English, must have a permanent home in their originating country, and must agree to leave within one year.

Speak with a Montgomery County Immigration Attorney Today about Student Visas

An experienced immigration lawyer can help students of all kinds apply for the correct visa. Applying for a visa requires sorting through an overwhelming amount of information and completing complicated paperwork. By hiring a lawyer, you will have someone to help through every step of the process.

If you are considering studying in America, schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable Montgomery County student visa lawyer and get started on your student visa application today.

Montgomery County Visa Lawyer